Templates & Layouts
Learn more about automating your e-signature process using templates and layouts
Create & Use Templates
Creating a Template
1) From the Dashboard, select ‘Templates’ in the top navigation bar
2) Click the ‘New Template’ button
3) In the dialog box, give your template a name. Click ‘Create’
4) Add the document you frequently send out for e-signature (i.e.: NDA, mortgage renewal, employee contract, etc.)
5) Next, define template roles. These are placeholders that you will designate to actual signers when it’s time to use the template. In this example, we will name the placeholder field ‘Signer 1’. Click ‘Next’.
6) Drag and drop your signature blocks and data fields to your document. Click ‘Done’. You have successfully created a template.
Using a Template
7) From the Dashboard, select ‘New Transaction’ and enter a name and description.
8) In the ‘Use Template’ section, you’ll see that the template you recently created is available for use. Select the desired template and then click ‘Create’.
9) Your template is pre-populated with your frequently used document, recipient placeholders and signature and data capture fields. To add recipients, switch the ‘Placeholder’ to ‘Recipient’ and enter the details of the recipient who is required to e-sign the transaction, and click ‘Next’.
10) From the Document Panel, toggle through your documents to verify the areas the recipients need to sign. Your transaction is now ready to send. Click ‘Send to Sign’ to distribute your document for signing.
What’s the difference between a Template and a Layout?
Templates and Layouts fulfill the same goal of automating the e-signature process by shortening the time it takes to send documents that include several signature blocks and data fields. Templates are ideal to use at the transaction level – you can pre-define your signers, documents, signature locations and e-signature workflows to streamline the e-signature process.
A Layout on the other hand, is a type of template that allows you to create pre-defined locations for your signature blocks and data fields within a document. It acts like a ‘marker’ where signature blocks and data fields will sit in the document. Layouts are helpful for users who frequently send forms that may be slightly different per recipient but signature blocks and data fields remain in the same location throughout the document. What’s more, you can use multiple Layouts per document, and apply them to individual pages within your transaction.
What type of settings can I assign to a template?
When creating a template in OneSpan Sign, you can set an expiry date, enable in-person signing, set the language, enable “review before completion” and indicate whether you want the template to be available to others in your organization.
How can I delete a template?
You can delete a template by going to the ‘Templates’ section from the dashboard. Select the template you want to delete then click the trash bin icon.
Can I share a template with other users under the same account?
Yes, you can share a template with any sender under your account. However, the sender will not be able to edit or delete them (only your OneSpan Sign admin can).
Can I share a Template with other senders that are not under the same account?
No, templates can only be shared with senders under the same account.
What happens if another sender, under the same account, saves a template with the same name?
Templates can have the same name under the same account because each template is referenced by its ID and not its name.
Create & Use Layouts
Creating a Layout
1) After adding your document and recipients to your e-signature transaction, you are directed to the Prepare page where you can drag and drop your signature blocks and data fields to your document. In this example, we will be sending a multi-page NDA document to Tamara Smith.
2) So you don’t have to place the signature fields and data fields in this document again the next time you use it, you have the option to save the placement of the signature blocks as a Layout. At the top right-hand side select ‘Save Layout’. The Save Layout dialog box will appear. Enter a description for your Layout. You also have the option to share the Layout with others in your organization. Click ‘Save’.
Applying a Layout
3) Let’s say you need to send out 2 multi-paged documents to a client for e-signature. In this example, we’ve added an NDA and a Mortgage Renewal document to the transaction. Next, we’ll add the required recipients to the transaction. Click ‘Next’.
4) You’ve added two different documents to a transaction. Instead of applying several signature blocks and data fields in the NDA and Mortgage Renewal forms, you can simply apply a layout you previously created for each type of document. At the top right-hand side, select ‘Apply Layout’.
5) To start, let’s apply a layout for the NDA document in the transaction. In the ‘Apply Layout’ dialog box, select the ‘NDA’ layout and apply it to your document.
6) The NDA layout is now applied to your document.
7) Next, let’s apply a layout to the Mortgage Renewal document. Once again, select the ‘Apply Layout’ icon. We already created a layout for a Mortgage Renewal form. In the ‘Apply Layout’ dialog box, select the ‘Mortgage Renewal’ layout and apply it to your document.
8) With a couple of clicks, your multi-page documents now include all the necessary signature blocks and data fields – in all the right places. With Layouts, we help you accelerate the process of sending your e-signature transactions by avoiding the inconvenience of dragging and dropping a number of signature fields and data fields in your multi-page documents.
What’s the difference between a Template and a Layout?
How can I delete/edit Layouts?
For Enterprise Plan customers, deleting layouts can be achieved through the SDKs/API. The first step is to retrieve your layout IDs, for which you can follow this guide. To delete your layouts, you will first need to move the layout to trash and delete the same way you would delete a package (e.g. eslClient.getPackageService().deletePackage(layouId)).
For Professional Plan customers, admins are asked to send a request to the Support Team to have a layout deleted from your account.
Can I share a Layout with other users under the same account?
Yes, you can share a layout with any sender under your account. However, the sender will not be able to edit or delete them.
Can I share a Layout with other senders that are not under the same account?
No, layouts can only be shared with senders under the same account.
What happens if another sender, under the same account, saves a Layout with the same name?
Layouts can have the same name under the same account because each layout is referenced by its ID and not its name.